These notes are for Week of Code - Classic (Mobile, Web, Games). Looking for Week of Code - Hardware (Arduino, Web, Games)?
What you’ll do this week
- Understand basic Computer Science concepts
- Build Android mobile apps with MIT App Inventor
- Design and Publish your own Website
- Create your own Video Game with Unity 3D
- Receive 1-on-1 support from our instructional team
- Share a project presentation with peers & parents
- The ability to type text on a computer (e.g. write an email, edit a Word document)
- Access to a computer with OSX/Windows (must have permission to install programs, including necessary passwords)
- Software: Google Chrome, Unity - personal edition, MIT App Inventor, FileZilla, and Sublime Text
- Google Account (Gmail, Google Drive, etc) - used to sign into MIT App Inventor
- Experience using a variety of websites, games, and apps
Tues - Making Mobile Apps with MIT App Inventor
Thurs - Making Video Games with Unity 3D
Fri - Project day: go in-depth on a track (Web, Mobile, Game) of your choice
Monday (optional setup / prework session)
- CS Topics - slides
- Install help time
- Homework challenge
Tuesday - Mobile Apps
- Introductions - students, instructors
- Why it’s important to learn to code
- Awesome Inc Core Values
- Be Good
- Be Excellent
- Be a Friend
- Be You
- What ground rules should we have?
- When the instructor is talking, _____.
- Keep your hands to _____.
- Keep your _____ for refills.
- The _____ are back by the water fountain.
- Try, Read, Friend, TA.
- Text editor skills and vocabulary
- Copy, Cut, Paste, Switch windows
- Arrow keys vs Mouse, Shift-to-select
- Look at Android Studio
- Use MIT App Inventor
- Hello world
- Password app
- Variables (hardcode
yourName via user input)
- If Statements (check if variables match, do something)
- For Loops (repeat what you do
- Add Talk to Me features
- Part 1 - press button speak out loud (generate sound)
- Part 2 - get user input (ask user what to say)
- Confirm Web (Sublime Text, FileZilla) setup for Wednesday
- More App Inventor
- Want to go more in-depth with Android?
Wednesday - Websites
- What is “The Web”?
- Chrome Developer Tools
- Use Mozilla Thimble to make our first web page
- Create our own site - My Favorite Animal
- Special Content
- YouTube embed
- Google Form embed
- Sample Form
Form embed code:
<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1OXXXjfutX2pbjZwAuOmwzD_vVMmXVFOJgBX-8sXPTZU/viewform?embedded=true" width="760" height="500" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0">Loading...</iframe>
- Deployment with FTP
- Relative links
- How to register a Domain Name
If times remains:
Thursday - Video Games
- Unity 3D interface
- Run a sample project
- Remind students to bring headphones for Friday tutorials
Friday - Project Day
- Review what we’ve done so far
- Mobile, Web, Games, Hardware
- Pick a project:
Note: most projects here will take longer than 4 hours to complete. That’s OK! Our goal during project day is to help you get started on something significant that you can continue working on after the Week of Code.