These notes are for Week of Code - Classic (Mobile, Web, Games). Looking for Week of Code - Hardware (Arduino, Web, Games)?
What you’ll do this week
- Understand basic Computer Science concepts
- Build Android mobile apps with MIT App Inventor
- Design and Publish your own Website
- Create your own Video Game with Unity 3D
- Receive 1-on-1 support from our instructional team
- Share a project presentation with peers & parents
- The ability to type text on a computer (e.g. write an email, edit a Word document). We recommend 20 WPM or faster.
- Experience using a variety of websites, games, and apps
Equipment and Account setup
Mon - Making Mobile Apps with MIT App Inventor
Wed - Making Video Games with Unity 3D
Thurs - Project day: go in-depth on a track (Web, Mobile, Game) of your choice
Sunday (optional setup / pre-work session)
** Note: times may change for setup session. See class email for details.
- CS Topics - slides
- Install help time
- Homework challenge
Monday - Mobile Apps
- Introductions - students, instructors
- Why it’s important to learn to code
- Awesome Inc Core Values
- Be Good
- Be Excellent
- Be a Friend
- Be You
- What ground rules should we have?
- When the instructor is talking, _____.
- Keep your hands to _____.
- Read, Try, _____, Coach.
- Be positive and _____.
- No _____ or _____ on the table.
- Bring the _____.
- Text editor skills and vocabulary
- Copy, Cut, Paste, Switch windows
- Arrow keys vs Mouse, Shift-to-select
- SpaceInvaders App V1
- Download Images
- Part 1: Moving the Rocket
- Part 2: Moving the Saucer
- Part 3: Bullet Behavior
- Testing Game Play
- Confirm Web (Mozilla Thimble, Sublime Text) setup for Wednesday
- More App Inventor
- Want to go more in-depth with Android?
Tuesday - Websites
- What is “The Web”?
- Chrome Developer Tools
- Use Mozilla Thimble to make our first web page
- Create our own site - My Favorite Animal
- Special Content
- YouTube embed
- Google Form embed
- Sample Form
Form embed code:
<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1OXXXjfutX2pbjZwAuOmwzD_vVMmXVFOJgBX-8sXPTZU/viewform?embedded=true" width="760" height="500" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0">Loading...</iframe>
- Publish and share
- Remix sample projects
If times remains:
Wednesday - Video Games
- Unity Game Engine interface overview
- Run a sample project
- Finish Unity Pong
- Pick a tutorial/project for Friday
- Remind students to bring headphones for Friday tutorials
Thursday - Project Day
- Review what we’ve done so far
- Mobile, Web, Games, Hardware
- Pick a project:
Note: most projects here will take longer than 4 hours to complete. That’s OK! Our goal during project day is to help you get started on something significant that you can continue working on after the Week of Code.
- Show & Tell
- Show us one thing you made this week
- Tell us one interesting thing you learned
- What’s one thing you want to create next?
- Next steps for learning
- Online resources: Codecademy, Code.org, Udacity
- Awesome Inc Fall/Spring weekly classes: